Find Sea Doo Tour Lodgings That Are Jet Ski Friendly…
Related: Great Ontario Rides
Sea Doo tour lodgings on #ontariowaterways fall into three main groups for recreational boaters – waterfront lodgings with their own launch & docks (1), waterfront lodgings with Sea Doo, jet ski or waverunner personal watercraft launch and docking nearby (2), and lodgings a short trailer tow away from the water (3). All have their uses, depending on your needs at the time, whether you’re an experienced rider like me on my Sea Doo GTX S 155, a beginner, or a renter on a self guided jet ski adventure like my best rivers rides, top 10 day tours or favourite sightseeing attractions.
1. Waterfront Lodgings With Docks & Launches On Site
The availability and location of waterfront lodgings (and fuel) catering to recreational boaters will determine where and how far you can ride on a multi day Sea Doo tour. When embarking on an overnighter Sea Doo ride, obviously you need waterfront lodgings along the way and a safe place to dock your watercraft. A few waterfront lodgings have their own docks, but check them out carefully to find out where you can launch (see How To Launch Safely) and also make sure dock space can be reserved in advance with your room booking. You also want to know that the docking is secure, the right height for a PWC, and sufficiently protected from wake, wind and current (and bumping other boats). These establishments tend to be summer resorts and in peak season or weekends, may require reservations for several consecutive nights. Ontario examples of this kind of Sea Doo tour lodgings that I’ve stayed at on #ontariowaterways include:
- 1000 Islands – Glen House Resort, Gananoque (onsite overnight docks & launch – nearest fuel Gananoque or Rockport)
- Georgian Bay – Sportsman’s Inn, Killarney (onsite overnight docks with public launch & fuel nearby)
- Georgian Bay – Pleasant Cove Resort, Pointe Au Baril (onsite overnight docks & launch – nearest fuel in Point au Baril)
- Kawartha Lakes – Beachwood Resort on Lower Buckhorn Lake (onsite launch & docks, fuel at nearby marina).
- Kawartha Lakes – Viamede Resort on Stoney Lake (onsite overnight docks with public launch next door, but no fuel nearby)
- Upper Ottawa River – Valois’ Motel & Restaurant, Mattawa (onsite overnight docks & launch with fuel availability)
- Severn River/Georgian Bay – Muskie’s Landing, Port Severn (onsite overnight docks & launch with fuel at Honey Harbour or past Lock 45)
2. Waterfront Lodgings With Docks & Launches Next Door
Other waterfront lodgings don’t have docks, but do have a marina with available transient docks for recreational boaters within easy walking or taxi distance. Once again, reserve your docking space in advance for your Sea Doo tour or you may be out of luck when you arrive. If you’re looking to stage from a waterfront property, make sure it either has its own boat launch or there is one available nearby – also a place to leave your truck and trailer while you’re away Sea Doo riding. Whichever you choose (or is available), ascertain beforehand where the nearest place is to fuel up. Ontario examples of Sea Doo tour lodgings that I’ve stayed with marinas nearby include:
- 1000 Islands – Gananoque Inn, Gananoque (onsite overnight docks, fuel at marina nearby).
- 1000 Islands – Capricorn Motel Royale, Ivy Lea (public launch & docks next door).
- 1000 Islands – Boathouse Country Inn, Rockport (on site docks with public launch next door & fuel at nearby marina)
- Kawartha Lakes – Bobcaygeon Inn, Bobcaygeon (on site docks with fuel at nearby marina)
- Lake Temiscaming – Waterfront Inn, New Liskeard (pay overnight docks and launch at Waterfront Marina next door)
- Muskoka Lakes – Residence Inn by Marriott, Gravenhurst (public launch, pay overnight docks and fuel next door at Muskoka Wharf Marina)
- Otonabee River – Holiday Inn, Peterborough (Peterborough Marina next door).
- Rideau Canal – Hotel Kenney, Jones Falls (on site docks).
- St Lawrence River/1000 Islands – Delta Kingston Waterfront (pay public overnight docks next door with free public launch nearby and fuel at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour.
3. Sea Doo Tour Lodgings Near the Water
Lodgings near the water are good for day Sea Doo rides where you trailer to the destination the night before, stay overnight, launch the next morning for a day ride, and load up again at day’s end to either trailer home or stay over a second night at the same hotel. This type of accommodation is more prevalent, with its primary criteria for PWC riders being relative proximity to the water and secure parking space for your truck and trailer overnight. You can gas up at a (cheaper than marina) roadside station and if the lodging has an onsite restaurant, can usually arrange to buy a lunch to take on your Sea Doo ride. If you stay two nights, you don’t have to pack up and leave everything in your truck while you’re off riding. Ontario examples of Sea Doo tour lodgings near the water include:
- Bay of Quinte – Comfort Inn, Trenton (free public launch with dock & parking at Centennial Park, a 10 minute drive away)
- Georgian Bay – Comfort Inn, Midland (pay public launch, dock & parking at foot of Main St, Penetanguishene, a 10 minute drive away)
- Lower Ottawa River – Motel Rouleau, Alfred (free public launch, with dock, parking and fuel 15 minute drive away at Lefaivre)
- Lower Ottawa River – Quality Inn & Suites, Hawkesbury (free launch & docks at Confederation Park)
- Lake Couchiching – Comfort Inn, Orillia (pay public launch with dock & parking at town waterfront, a 10 minute drive away)
- Lake Huron North Channel – Hilton Beach Inn, St Joseph Island (pay public launch with dock & parking next door at Hilton Beach Marina)
- Lake Temiscaming – President’s Suites, Haileybury (pay overnight docks and launch at Haileybury Marina)
- Lake Vernon, Fairy Lake/Peninsula Lake – Comfort Inn, Huntsville (free public launch with dock & parking at foot of Yonge St North, a 5 minute drive away)
- St Lawrence River – McIntosh Country Inn, Morrisburg (free public launch with dock & parking, a 10 minute drive away)
- Upper Ottawa River – Best Western Pembroke (pay public launch with overnight docks, parking & fuel at Pembroke Marina 10 minute drive away)
The tips and advice in this article are the opinions of the author, may not work in every situation and are intended only for the convenience and interest of the reader, who has the personal responsibility to confirm the validity, accuracy and relevancy of this information prior to putting it to their own use.